"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, July 27, 2006

The "Serious" Photographer


This morning I came across this photo taken in 1975 in my high school photography lab science class. Yes, a lab science ... imagine that! We had to do real photography back then with darkrooms, film, chemicals, and excursions; this was a year long class. We even had to make a camera from an oatmeal box! My 35mm camera went everywhere I went. Having my own car made it easy to drive down to the beach and catch some nature pics at least once a week. Several of these beach outings included the loan (probably without permission) of my mom's extensive (and expensive) sea shell collection. I was brave and even set up the tri-pod at the water's edge (foolish thing to do). But to capture a colorful shell with the seafoam lapping over it required the risk (so I thought). Well, all was well until I misjudged a wave and just about lost everything ... that's camera, tri-pod, and even a few expensive shells bobbing out to sea. Fortunately, I reclaimed the shells, my composure, and didn't get too wet. Obviously, I saved the camera first. Mom never knew a thing :) Digital cameras are a wonderful invention, but to get a real feel for photography, nothing beats film. My camera was stolen during a home burgulary and since dh owned the same make and model, never replaced my own. Mom was kind enough to leave her 35mm with loads of lenses last month, so today I'm going to unpack her camera bag and begin shooting film once again. Stay tooned for the results.

Photo of "Me" taking a fellow student's portrait in high school, 1975

6 comments:

Pat said...

What a great picture! Through most of our marriage we used a 35mm Canon. It took the most beautiful pictures. Nothing I take today with my digital compares to the quality, but then my digital isn't as expensive either! A good camera is a good investment! Did you go to school in Ca? I went to school in Van Nuys, Ca.

Maggie Ann said...

That is so interesting!! My Dad was an amateur photographer and we hated helping out in the darkroom. Now, I love pictures....they capture life in the most special ways. You sound like you were very mature in high school, having a car and a life at that age...wow. I was still a bookworm very much under my Dad's thumb..=) (and stayed that way until my prince charming came into my life.)

Anonymous said...

bg, I went to school in Long Beach ... and maggie ann, yes, I was very mature from an early age; even began cooking complete dinner meals at the stove in first grade! My original parents, sadly, divorced when I was five and from that point forward I grew up quickly. Maybe I'll share that tale soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Mac,
I am Jan Thompson's husband,Pat. I just noted and wanted to thank you for the sensitive and caring tribute to Jan that you posted on June 13th.
She was born on June 13th,1952 and we were married on June 13th 1975, so your tribute carries a host of memories that makes her live again in my heart. Thanks again for remembering....
All the very best on building your new house and enjoying that good looking boy who appears to like his chicken.
Pat Thompson
I initially posted on June 30th's blog(yesterday), then I realized that you might not review each and every past blog, so I decided to make the comment more current.

Anonymous said...

Pat, now that's some coincidence! .. I had no idea about the significance of June 13 ... but for some reason that day, Jan was on my mind and I missed her :) Thanks for stopping by for a visit ...

Margie said...

hmmm.. that's funny... I was two in 1975 :)