"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Message


I'm writing this journal entry in response to Dr. Boucher's request. She is a gifted occupational therapist that has given me much encouragement over the past year in regard to my son, Nathan, the possessor of an extra chromosome.

This post is stretching the limits of my brain power having to think so far back. But with a little quite time, I am going to recall a most interesting period in my life.

I had been married to the Mr. for about eleven years; had three beautiful children being home schooled ... all was well. One day I perceived (I assume from the Lord) that there was yet one more child for us to raise. Specifically, a boy with special needs. Not knowing what to do with this so called enlightened information, I mentioned it a few times to a select few and tucked the message away in my heart.

When you are a Christian home schooling family, prayer time can be very spontaneous having everyone's attention all day. My children were no different from other kids in asking for us to add another child to our family. Hubby dear was not too keen. The children became rather pesky about the topic so I mentioned that Dad's heart was closed to the idea. Perhaps they should pray that God would soften his heart.

Fast forward five years: Now I'm hear to warn you, don't assign prayers to children unless you expect them to be answered!" Pray and pray they did. And guess what! God answered their prayers. We were expecting our fourth child .. me being 38 and hubby 45; not exactly spring chickens, eh?

The blessed day arrived and our son, Nathan, was born. Off in the corner of the delivery room I overheard a nurse mention something about Down syndrome. Being groggy I pushed the notion out the window. However, the truth of the matter he has down syndrome. I immediately had a flashback to the day I had a (message) notion about being the mom of a boy with special needs.

If you're wondering why I did not know our son had DS before he was born, here's my response. Children are a great heritage from the Lord; all children, not just some children. Each has worth. I did not have any invasive genetic testing done during my pregnancy. If children are a gift from God, then why on earth would I jeopardize a life. We'll take what we get was our view about being pregnant later in life.

Would I change anything today? Is life easy for our family? To these two questions I'll answer NO.

Is our life enriched and blessed? Do we as a family have more empathy for the afflicted? Has God used our son as a witness that all human life has value? Our resounding answer is YES!

(Photos: top ~ Nathan age 3, bottom ~ Nathan age 13)

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Psalm 139:13-16 NIV

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"One day I perceived"

That happened to me, too - with the message being to start our family. Tootsweet we were expecting ManChild. I interpreted the same Source for the message was received during church service.

As cute as Nathan is now, I LOVE that photo of him in overalls!

Barbara

Sara said...

I feel like just saying, Amen. So...amen!

Trish said...

Is he cute or what? God always knows
what's best for us. He gives Special Needs Children to Special Parents!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Nathan is a special gift from God to your whole family.

FlowerLady

Amrita said...

Love ya Cathy

Constance said...

WOW! I have said this before but I have no reference, no way to understand what you have had to go through in raising Nathan.

I am ashamed of this but the word "retarded" was a part of my vocabulary in the past, and not in a good way. Like many, instead of saying, "That's dumb" or "that's stupid", I would say, "that's retarded". I know I am not alone but that doesn't make it right.

I have another friend whose youngest grandson Sammy, was born with Down's about 2 years ago. Between you and her I have learned that words, thoughtless words, can hurt other people's feelings. How would I feel if my son or grandson had Down's and I heard others throw that word around?

Nathan is a Good Will Ambassador!

Love, Connie

Pat said...

I just want to hug you guys...all of you!!!

Jim said...

This is a nice report for the Dr. Boucher. Do you know if she is a Christian? I quickly looked over her credentials and didn't see any mention of her beliefs.

That is one of my favorite Psalms. We have a book, Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Philip Yancey and Paul Brand which we like very much.

I am sure that God placed Nathan with you guys because He wanted and knew you all would make a wonderful home for him. Your childrens' prayers added encouraging support to help His desires for Nathan along.

God has blessed you and will continue to bless a whole lot more.
I will add my little prayer, "God bless you, M&M, mother of Nathan."
..
I would add that Karen, our daughter did not have an invasive test either. She was 35 three days after KP was born.
She did do a specimin (blood or urine or both) that advised her with 90% of the accuracy of the test that each of you declined.
Had there been a warning from the test she was prepared to be ready and accept what God had planned for her.
..

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
How great that you actually knew you wanted a child with these needs and that you knew in your spirit before hand what was going to happen.

There are written beautiful novels about Special equipped children, like Nathaniel. (amongst others by Morris West).

You are writing true life, that's even better.

I love it when my psalm, the 139th is quoted.
That's how life with God is and should be.
From Felisol

Jada's Gigi said...

God hand picks hearts like yours to raise these precious little ones. As Sara says..."Amen"

David C Brown said...

Just say, "special"!

Maggie Ann said...

A beautiful post for a beautiful boy...a blessing from God for sure and certain! I have a dear friend whose sister has DS and since she brought her home to live with them since their parents health has been going downhill somewhat, her sister is doing wonderfully.

Princess Abigail said...

That is so interesting! I had a very similar feeling between child two and three! A powerful 'message from the universe' that child three would indeed come along one day, despite hubbie's reticences. I just knew she was out there, just waiting for the right body to fill. And it turned out the body we made for her wasn't the easiest in the world to live in, but "Would I change anything today?" NO way! "Is life easy for our family?" not at all! But she has had the same powerful impact on our lives as your blessed Nathan (which, incidentally, is the name of child number two!) Like yourselves, our life has been infinitely enriched and blessed with our special child number three. It's lovely to discover a story to similar to my own! I intend to read more!

Alison in France

Margie said...

I love nathan! All the way from Michigan... and I've never met him!!

Saija said...

what a witness!
may God BLESS you and your brood with joy & laughter ...

Terri said...

I also had a compulsion after my first 2 children that we were not done. That there was another child waiting to be born. And we didn't know ahead either, for the same reasons... and would do nothing different today! Our kids are great gifts--and messages!

Candace said...

Mrs. Mac, So nice to meet you! I found you thru DR. Boucher. What a beautiful story about your boy. It seems like the defining characteristic of parents with special children is their harrowing yet heartwarming stories of their children's births. I can't wait to read more from you! I have a daughter with spastic diplegic CP, Faith.

Stacey,momof 2 said...

I also found you via Dr Boucher...
May I just say that I enjoyed reading your post? It was nice to hear the strength that you as a family have towards kids with special needs...It is a challenge, but also a huge blessing that the Lord placed with you!

Anonymous said...

Great contribution to the festival! he is adorable.