"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Friday, January 16, 2009

Skinned Knees


... a rite of childhood passage. My Mr. Nathan arrived home from school yesterday with a tear in the knee of his sweat pants. He let me know in no uncertain terms that he wanted the 'bee off' his knee. After he hiked up his pant leg, I noticed a rather large bandage and a scrape. I haven't seen a knee such as this since his brother, Patrick, fell off his bike as a kid. Checking Nathan's backpack produced a note from school explaining that he had fallen at recess and cried for thirty minutes after the wound was cleaned and bandaged. He has a way of replaying pain over and over in his mind. Come to think of it, this morning at bath time, he would only stand in the tub which made washing his hair rather messy. His class went swimming today ... but not Nathan. He will be dropped off at Walmart later to catch up with his classmates for their weekly shopping trip. Want to know what's on his list? Toothpaste, potato chips, and toilet paper. Every week I try to have him find a few new items and one that will make it worth his effort (the chips).

"That Boy Of Mine"

That boy of mine, he has no fear
and bikes downhill without using low gear.

What makes boys such risk takers, I do not know;
Somehow the playground's blacktop freedoms make this mom wish for snow!

Another original (doozie poem) by:
Mrs. Mac

7 comments:

Pat said...

First a girl friend, now this...your youngest is all boy - and that's not bad!!

Terry said...

Oh Mrs. Mac,
That looks like a real big cut.
I am a little bit of a sissy. I don't think I would be willing to get into a tub of water either.
Poor little guy!
Yes though, Miss Patty is right.
That little gift is all boy....Give him a big hug for me...Love Terry

Trish said...

Yes, boys are risk takers. Our Ian has had more injuries than
the girls will ever have! Skateboards, flipping over handlebars,even had his 2 front teeth broken falling on the swingset...this Grammy describes them as a "whole 'nother species!!!"
But they are what God made them...our protectors, our providers.
Did Nathan enjoy his chips??? I myself could eat the whole bag!!!

Saija said...

wishing for snow, eh ...
little boys will find ways to wreak havoc with that too ...

hope Nathan is not experiencing those bee sting feelings anymore ...

Deb said...

Oh, poor Nathan! That knee looks painful! No wonder he cried for 30 minutes - I probably would have too!

Your doozie poem is just that - a doozie! ;)

And I can't believe you've already cleaned two rooms on your quest to get your Spring cleaning done before winter is over!!

Oh my! Today's word verification:
stingerr!!! How appropriate is that for Nathan's "bee stung knee"?

Jim said...

Hi M&M, he won't stop getting those! You should have seen me when I fell and broke my knee cap in Ireland. My finger was out of joint and I was bleed from head to toe!

Have you been missing me?

We just returned to the cold (30's around here in the evenings last couple of nights) from a 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Queen Mary 2.

I have started to blog again now after a two week break (did put on a poem on the other blog yesterday). I hope I can keep up now but it may still be slow going for me.
-->So come see me at Jim's Little Blog <--

Constance said...

Poor guy! I can SO relate! Our son Charlie is all boy from head to toe! We used to call him "Ironhead Hopkins" when he was little. He'd run into stuff, obviously dazed, shake his head and move on! Now that he's 18 the only thing I fear breaking on him, would be his heart! Some girl better never do that to him! Besides me, he has 3 older sisters that think he hung the moon!
Connie