"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Loving My ...


Teen! With one daughter nearing the end of her teenage reign, my heart is made merry by the recent change in our relationship. Instead of bristling up her peach fuzz at the mere mention of the slightest bit of advice, she now seeks out my council. Last weekend her older sister invited her to church ... and low and behold the sermon was about a discussion we had the night before. Yes, my tactic of giving her just enough freedom to fail on her own has benefited this newest birdie that is being nudged out of the nest. She has discovered that maybe her parents aren't as clueless as she had imagined and that a wonderful new relationship of friendship is her reward.

You who are young, make the most of your youth. Relish your youthful vigor. Follow the impulses of your heart. If something looks good to you, pursue it. But know also that not just anything goes; You have to answer to God for every last bit of it.
Ecclesiastes 11:9 (The Message Bible)

7 comments:

Deb said...

Olivia has a ways to go before she reaches the teen years - let alone thinks about leaving them behind. I'm hoping that we remain the good friends we are today --although something tells me that hormones may change that from time to time!

Pat said...

What a sweet time to grow into, and a beautiful tribute to your daughter. Maturing brings such joy to all those around you...and especially to yourself. Those teen years are heavy on the maturing and we as parents are often maturing right along with them.....if we do it right.

Crown of Beauty said...

This is indeed a wonderful stage, when mom and daughter begin to be adult friends... I'm enjoying this kind of relationship now with my only daughter, and it's the best thing that happened to both of us. Enjoy this time... it's what I would call the realization of what you have "invested" of yourself in her. Have a wonderful, special day ahead of you.

Trish said...

Isn't it nice to become friends with our children? My daughters and I talk everyday, they are such a comfort to me!

donna said...

I love all God has done in me and my girls....each day with them brings a new joy to my heart! May He continue to bless you and yours!

Amrita said...

You are so blessed to have a warm and loving relatonship with your daughter

Margie said...

what a blessing!!