"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Friday, March 06, 2009

Sprouts


My veggie seeds have sprouted in my mini-four-shelf green house. Now if I could just sprout an idea for a post! I have lots of stuff/ideas floating in my head ... but 'nare the time to sit and ponder. This week I've been teaching myself to knit. It's a nice no brain cells wasted type of activity that is very soothing. A person can actually multi-task (watch a show and knit at the same time). I'm getting pretty good and not having to rip my work apart any more. Today I planted more seeds in my recycled 'trash' containers (empty toilet paper rolls, take home salad boxes, egg cartons, etc.) It's a rewarding feeling knowing that gardening doesn't have to cost a fortune. So far I've planted: Marigolds, beefsteak tomatoes, onions, snap dragons, Roma tomatoes, petunias, herbs and peppers. If the snow melts before summer there's a chance for a decent garden. Here's hoping for more warm days.

Soldier boy is on the road making his way home. He's currently at his grandparent's home for a little visit. He really needs a good home cooked meal and some spoiling from his mom.

12 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I havent started my indoor seeds yet. I was thinking it was too early. Maybe I need to rethink. We cant really put veggies out until June. When do you folks plant?

Terry said...

Dear Mrs. Mac
What a beautiful green picture with the promise of a new life and a looking forward to spring!
And that soldier boy slowly making his way home to you, his family,yes but also to a table filled with good things to eat!
I am longing for that day when you will all be seated there together!
Love Terry

Maggie Ann said...

How exciting that your son is on his way home to you. I'm glad for you all! You are getting good to be able to watch some tv and knit at the same time. Thats admirable! I have to pretty much keep my nose to the grindstone. Grin. Thats because my brain isn't top of the line for memory but Thankful I am for what I've got...and how! Your seedlings sound like they are doing great. I was glad to read you are growing petunias too. I think I want to get a pkg of impatients started too. Better run..

Pat said...

I can see why you haven't been blogging, you're filling your days with other productive activities. I miss you though, try to squeeze a post in now and then!

Amrita said...

All the best fo r your summer sprouts.

Our temps in the 80s so we 've put in our summer things. Getting loads of tomatoes.

Mrs. Mac said...

Mrs. D Most of my seed packets said to plant 8 to 10 weeks before final frost inside. I'm hoping with the greenhouse that I'll have productive (bigger) sized starts when its time to plant. We had such a short growing season last year.

Margie said...

I want to start a greenhouse in my house! I have no idea where but you continually inspire me!!

Saija said...

awww, what a sweet post to read ... i can hear the longing for your soldier boy ... makes me teary ... but soon, eh ...

blessings on ya!

Jim said...

You're doing good there, M&M. Please show us some pictures of what you can grow. My lemon tree has zillions of blossoms now, I am hoping for a lemon or two. I should hand polinate it as the bees have pretty much died in most of the states. Some of our bail out money is supposed to go for getting them back.

Things are greening up around here too, already we have sprayed for weeds. I turned the sprinkler on today and checked it out. I got some weed and feed fertilizer today and will put it on tomorrow or Monday.
..

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Cathy, I love the fresh green color of that sprout, it's busrting with life. My, you surely have been busy. Rejoicing with you that your soldier boy is soon coming home. Enjoy the coming days of spring!

Jada's Gigi said...

Don't you love it when the kids come home?

Deb said...

I taught myself to knit several weeks ago. I've made a couple of scarves and have plans for other things...just don't seem to have the time! It's very relaxing though - whenever I do get the chance!

Sprouts! How wonderful...Spring is on its way!