"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Orange Juice - NO MORE


Friday night I enjoyed about 9 ounces of OJ throughout the evening. To cut down on the acidity, I mixed it with some diet lemon-lime pop. It tasted so refreshing, I never gave it a second thought, that is until my skin started itching. I honestly thought maybe something had bitten me ... then I took a nice hot bubble bath ... and suddenly broke out in HIVES. Well, to help alleviate the rash, I took a Benedryl, which knocked me out for the night :) ... I took another Benedryl yesterday which made me "goofy" ...last night while getting off the freeway, I thought I had dementia as I wasn't sure where I was??? (I think this is called DUI of alergy medicine)! Today, I still have some hives. This happened to me once from eating too many oranges as a kid ... only then I didn't have car keys so I wasn't a danger to other people :) ... Any home made remedies for hives would be greatly appreciated. At my age, hives and hotflashes together are lethal. Signed Miserable in Idaho

13 comments:

Sara said...

oatmeal bath? honestly you'll probably have to continue with the wonderfully mind altering benadryl because the hives are an external symptom of an internal issue. i'm going to have some orange juice with diet pop now; sounds yummy.

Deb said...

ugh hives. I get them often --mine are a neurological symptom of multiple sclerosis.

I take benadryl to help with the itching --and an oatmeal or baking soda bath will help...

...but...Sara's right, it's an external symptom of an internal issue.

I'll be praying for you!

Pat said...

Now I feel like having some orange juice and oatmeal cookies!
Just kidding!!
I feel for you, if you can't take a benadryl and zone out, hives can be very miserable. Don't they make non drowsy benadryl, although it's probably the drowsy ingredient that takes care of the hives. Glad to have been so helpful to you...geezz I'm useless!

Mrs. Mac said...

Oh, I'm gonna have my kids run out and get some Aveeno Oatmeal Bath Soak! I'm now reduced to wearing my zip-up robe with no waistband ... snoozing on the couch from the Benedryl, and wondering what I can fix for dinner from a recliner :) Thanks for the suggestions and prayers.

Unknown said...

allergic to oranges? never heard of that one

gramma_s said...

Here's praying your hives go away. They can sure be misserable, I've tried but I can't think of anything to make or cook from a recliner, you are a very brave lady to do what you're doing. And to have hives on top of it. I'm praying God will give you strength.....
Question; did you happen to see the fire rainbow? My SIL sent me a picture and it was taken the other day on the border of your state and the one west of you. It was seen for about an hour and it is awesome.

Jada's Gigi said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you! My husband also gets hives when in combination with oranges, heat and stress. He gets them in his hands and on the bottoms of his feet, along with eveywhere else. He once had to got to Europe with them and had to be wheeled to the plane because he couldn't walk on his feet! I feel for you! Mostly time and benedryl...and lots of water to was it out of your system.

Maggie Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your hives. Those are miserable and worrysome. I just take Benadryl for any allergy stuff if it gets to the point where my regular allergy medicine can't handle it. Hope they are going away for you. Isn't it something how long those things can last? I'm also hoping you got those sunbeams through your cottage window you were hoping for....= ).

Tonya said...

Benadryl was the best thing I could think of, But I would have to agree with Sara, Oatmeal bath will work.

Anonymous said...

Benedryl was a failure ... so I bought Claritin 24 hr.time release ... so far so good!

Mrs. Darling said...

I get hives when I get stressed or when I have systemmic reactions from allergy shots. They're no fun. Hope you're all better now.

Margie said...

Hives STINK! i get them when I am stressed! I had them last week (I was scratching my neck so much someone told me i was going to scratch out my vocal chords!). I also had them most of my schooling... no more juice for you, sister!

gramma_s said...

Just stopped in to say Hi. I do hope your hives are all gone by now, when a person has so much going in their life as you do, they don't need hives yet.
Just Me