"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Meeting Hundreds Of Years ...

... in the making!

Since I began dabbling in genealogy,  I have been surprised recently to find that I have distant cousins all over the place ... including my own relative 'backyard' (speaking in terms of the size of the world;).  Last night was worth waiting many generations to meet up with my newly discovered cousin, Egon, from Denmark.  He and his beautiful wife, Debbie, live on the west coast of Washington state .. a mere six hour drive from my home .,.. and stopped by last night for our first visit.  We are connected through my grandmother Esther's father that emigrated from Denmark in the 1880's.  Egon is the family historian and is quite involved the region's Danish community.

I encourage you to write down your family's history.  Talk with the elders of your family and record their stories, family heritage, recipes, etc.  Often, we wait until our family members are long gone to think about the importance of such records.
Photos:  Top .. Grandma Esther, about 1918, bottom .. Egon, Mrs. Mac, Debbie 5/21/2010

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wise words! Sometimes I feel the ancestors are calling me to make the past known. (Does that sound weird?)

Finding like minded relatives is a joy. A good way to do that is to explore your family's genealogy.

Barbara

Felisol said...

We are also intersted in genealogi, Gunnar in particular.
One's got to be prepared for the unexpected while searching, though..

For years and years I have mocked the believers in transmigration of souls. Where should all these billions of souls come from? Oh, no, our creator has equipped us with one, personal, immortal soul, on that I am convinced.
On the other hand I am willing to believe in gene transmigration, my theory has been.
That skills developed from one person or persons can be passed on to the next generations.
We all talk about how certain reaction patterns and roles have been developed in lets say, the stone age.
Imagine my surprise when Gunnar showed me that British scientists are working broadly exactly on these theories.
That gives genealogy one more interesting angle.

Trish said...

I so enjoy these posts Mrs. Mac! Our heritage is so important. I am, studying up on the settling of Houston County and the Erin area of Tennessee, where I was born. Pre~1880...when I finish with Vol.1, I will write a few posts and scan some photo's...I am loving this.