"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Menu Traditions

Traditionally for breakfast we have:

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Breakfast Sausage
Ambrosia
Orange Juice
Coffee

I never serve lunch because we eat our dinner early

This year's dinner menu:

Locally Raised & Smoked Ham
Local Natural Turkey
Cranberry Relish
Sean's Potatoes*
Steamed Broccoli
Green Dinner Salad with Homemade Basalmic Vinegar Dressing
Home Baked Dinner Rolls
Sparkling Apple Cider
Birthday Cake**
Coffee

*Sean's Potatoes: This is Sean Patrick's favorite side dish his Grandmother Betty would make for family get-togethers. When he was stationed in the Army for eight years away from home, it was comforting to have a family meal with his favorite dish. In our family, this dish is known only as 'Sean's Potatoes'.

8-10 medium potatoes, boil with skins on until barely tender
2 cups sour cream
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped green onions
salt and pepper

Chill the boiled potatoes in refrigerator, peel and shred (grate). In a small saucepan, melt butter and cheese. Mix in sour cream. Together in a large bowl, gently mix the shredded potatoes, cheese mix, green onions, and salt and pepper (to taste). Pour into a 9x13 in. pan. Top with grated cheese. Bake 45 minutes at 350F

** In honor of remembering Christ's birth, we are having a birthday cake for dessert.



9 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
Sounds delicious.
You do put a lot of work in this menu.
I'm especially impressed by Sean Patrick's potatoes.
It's so wonderful to have him home safe and sound with the family.
He deserves all special treats one can imagine.
My best to all in your precious family.
From felisol

Cindy said...

Sounds yummy! Our breakfast is a berry cream coffee cake and egg and sausage casserole. Lunch will be roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, a veggie tray with dip, cranberry orange jello salad, and various desserts (delegated to those coming). I'm thinking of adding steamed asparagus to the menu too.

Jada's Gigi said...

Sounds like a delightful food day. We traditionally have BBQ ribs for our Christmas dinner...we pick them up for a local restaurant the day before and reheat along with fries, coleslaw, corn on the cob..all the trimmings..:) this became a tradition when our family lived alone and away from family and friends for several years..then when we were back in range of them we just continued it...its a huge hit with the kids...and with me cause I don't have to cook much. :)

Pat said...

Every comment and your post menu sounds wonderful...God's bountiful blessings overflow!
We are having ham, turkey (I don't know if its natural-*grin*. Lots of fixings to go with- no one will be hungry!
Tradition abounds this time of year, and binds us together in love. May those cords never be broken.

Amrita said...

Yum yum yummy, tickles my taste buds

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Just dropped by from another blog...my mouth is watering! It all sounds so delicious! Enjoy it all and Merry Christmas!

Maggie Ann said...

Hi Mrs.Mac...That sounds delicious! And I love the Birthday cake for dessert. I read somewhere that the way to remember how to spell dessert (I used to get its spelling confused with desert) is to simply remember that you always want two pieces of dessert so the two 's's. It sure works for me...grin.

My pc is dying on me and giving me grief. However, I am able to blog today..if I don't ask anything to hard of it. Like letting me load new pictures!

Warmest wishes to you and your family for a Cozy and Blessed Christmas and New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hoping a shiny new computer is under the tree for you!

Blessed Merry Christmas!

With love, Barbara

prashant said...

tickles my taste buds

How to make a website