"These happy golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Nathan ... Waking Up To The Beat Of The Drum

Most days find our son, Nathan, somewhat apprehensive and shy.  That is ... until ... he turns on some music and starts dancing (spinning) .. non stop until he either wears himself out ... or I purposely 'unplug' him.   Sometimes it's a struggle for the rest of the family to 'endure' another playing of 'Little GTO' ... or ... surfin' 60's music, or The Monster Mash, as he can listen to the same selection over and over.  Thank goodness when we built our home I had six inch walls stuffed with insulation and solid wood doors put on the bedroom doorways lest his bedroom would be moved to the basement ;)  On the bright side .. Nathan often sings along with the music ... helping him to practice his speech.  My once un-intelligibly voiced son is starting to string three and four word sentences together.  Music ... soothes the savage beast (so I've heard) ... and brings out the best in Nathan.  Normally, loud noise sets him off in a tizzy ... but not so with music .. to him it's a white noise pleasure.  BTW ... I have to frequently change the furniture placement so as not to wear a hole in the carpet.

Hallelujah! Sing to God a brand-new song,
      praise him in the company of all who love him.
   Let all Israel celebrate their Sovereign Creator,
      Zion's children exult in their King.
   Let them praise his name in dance;
      strike up the band and make great music!
   And why? Because God delights in his people,
      festoons plain folk with salvation garlands! 
Psalm 149:1-4 The Message Bible

Thank you, Dr. Boucher for exploring this topic with the many families you have helped to think outside of the box in the physical and occupational therapy areas of your expertise.  To read more, visit her site, Therextras and follow her third annual blog carnival coming soon.

11 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Music speaks to our hearts and souls. It can make us dance, laugh, sing, cry. It can soothe us, and sometimes bother the heck out of us, but it speaks to us individually. Glad that it speaks to Nathan too, and helps him with his speech.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Pat said...

"Little GTO, you're really lookin' fine
Three dueces and a four speed, and a 389
Listen to her tachin' up now, Listen to her why-ee-eye-en
come on turn it on,
wind it up, blow it out GTO".
Pardon me...you just took me back to my teen-age years with those songs, and that car!!
Music is so powerful..I'm so glad that Nathan has an outlet and and learning tool all at the same time.
I will be glad to sing those songs with him..I know them all!
Oh...I will also be happy to dance with him too....roll up the carpet!

Sandy said...

That darling boy is a hoot!
I remember all those songs.
I'm sure all that dancing
is good for him and I am
glad he has an outlet and
a way to have some fun.
It's just wonderful that
his speech is developing.
Now, if it would only
happen for dear Shaun.
Hugs,
Sandy

Kathryn said...

It makes me smile to think of him spinning & dancing up a storm. :)

Glad he has something he enjoys so much.

Blessings to you dear.

Amrita said...

There 's no on e like Nate- he is full of life!

Jada's Gigi said...

This makes me smile...and I like his song selections too...:)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay for Nathan's enjoyment with the side benefits of exercise and better verbal communication! Well worth re-arranging the furniture!

I have this quote in my sidebar:
An old Arab, whose tent was pitched next to a company of whirling dervishes was asked, “Don’t they bother you?” “No!” he said. “What do you do about them?” “I let ‘em whirl!” - Acceptance, by Vincent P. Collins

Thanks so much for entering the carnival, Mrs. Mac!

Barbara

Maggie Ann said...

Thats nice that music is such a happy thing to experience, for Nathan and us too. =)

Floortime Lite Mama said...

what a lovely post
He is such a adorable child

Fawn said...

Wonderful! And I think he has GREAT taste in music! :)

http://fawnahareo.com

emma said...

Hi I came over from TherExtras, lovely to hear how music can have such a positive effect:)